Friday 11 March 2011

Money money money..... money!

I am self employed. I have my own business. I am freelance. I am an agency. I am all of these things but they all mean the same thing when it comes to the readies. I don't make money, I don't have money.

If the work's not coming in then I don't get paid. This was one of the big factors that held me back from working for myself. I don't rely on anyone else. I'm not in a relationship. I never ask my parent's for money. I am totally independent.

This has meant that when it comes to my business' finances I have been super cautious. Some months I've made more money than ever and I've been pretty bloody chuffed (as you can imagine). However, last year I also had some very very lean times. To this end I've been paying myself as little as possible, while trying to pay off as much of my credit card as possible i.e. I've been living on pennies.

I don't spend a lot on things as a general rule. My money goes on going out (i.e. booze), train travel to see TB and holidays - and the last holiday was a long weekend to Germany in October. Before that it was NYC for a week in June.  That's not a lotta hols. That's all I buy. The last time I bought myself something new to wear was Christmas and that was using my Christmas money. It does help that I work from home as most days I just kick about in old jeans and hoodies. However, it's got to the point where I NEED to spend some money. I NEED some new things. I DESERVE some new things. The shops are calling, nay, screaming my name.

Luckily for me, I've been so bloomin conservative that it turns out I've got more money than I thought I did! Throw a brilliant accountant for good measure and whay hay, there is money there to be spent! Boo and indeed Ya!

There are a few things in the pipeline that are going to require some coins which are deathly dull...

  • Car service
  • MOT
  • Car Insurance
  • Parking Permit
  • Massive dent in my bonnet that needs fixed (thanks flying ice off the back of someone's car on the motorway)

Are you noticing a theme here? Yeah, all car related. How boring. But also TB and I are about to book flights for a week in the south of France in May! So excited.

Now, that's all well and good - but I need some new clothes. Something that's going to make me feel good - and look good. Feel like a frumpy bag lady at the mo. I just need a couple of thing to inject a bit of life into my wardrobe. Any suggestions on what I should be looking out for?

3 comments:

  1. A big ditto to everything you have said! I'm a fellow freelancer and also know the dramas of flitting between flush and poor.

    What makes it extra difficult is that because I live in a big posh building where footballers etc live it is presumed that I too am rich! I'm not I just choose to spend my money on expensive rent rather than other things.

    Someone once told me that I should live somewhere cheaper and save my money for a rainy day. What until I can save up and live somewhere like I do now?! Plus it always rains in Manchester anyway!

    Rapunzel x
    *Tales from the Tower*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know what you should buy - just go and see what catches your eye .... and indulge. I tend to go shopping and always say I'm just checking that shop out to see if there's anything in there with my name on it !!! Congrats on doing so well in your business - so so happy for you. Zxxx. ps went shopping in Rockhampton today with a friend who was up from Brisbane and buggar me if there weren't an awful lot of things with my name on!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly do you do for a living? I see owning my own business/being freelance in my future, so I'm intrigued!
    I don't know about you, but a nice dress always makes me feel good. Perfect with leggings and some boots in daytime, and then tights and some dancing shoes for a night out! Scarves are good for jazzing up plain tops. Ate the moment I'm lusting after a pussy-bow blouse- I could wear it with jeans for a day out, or a night in the pub, or with a skirt for a dressier look!

    ReplyDelete

Go on then, spill.