Friday 18 January 2013

CrossFit baby steps

Tomorrow I am going to spend an hour in a world of pain. A very embarrassing world of pain.
For tomorrow, my dear readers, I am going along to a taster session of CrossFit. You may very well have heard of CrossFit but for those who haven't... well, I'm not too sure how to explain it as I'm not really sure myself what it is.

In my mind I've got this idea that it's workout 'programme' which is loosely like circuits and involves weights, squats, box jumping and all other manners of exercise. I think this post really sums it up well - and it's a pretty cool blog too.

So it's not just about the exercise, it's all about the positivity and the community environment. And possibly most importantly for me, it's about a routine combined with constant competition with no-one else but myself.

Since my failed 10k training, when my hip began hurting after 4 weeks of running three times a week, I've done bugger all exercise. Who knew that a couple of spin classes over a 3 month period really does nothing for your fitness levels? I really struggled at the gym on Wednesday night and so I know tomorrow is not going to be pretty. I am sure I will be the unfittest there. I've just been watching the new season of the Biggest Loser (USA) and I know I'm going to the crap one going the slowest while turning puce, then white - then puce again. It's going to be U.G.L.Y. Daphne and Celeste style (and we all remember how bad that was. No? Just me then). But... I've got to do something. And I might be the slowest, crappest person there - but I'll be there.

If I make it out the other side with even an inkling that this could be for me then I'm going to sign up for the Fundamentals Course. This is a three week course held on Sunday's for two hours at time where you learn all the techniques and moves - while no doubt getting a bit of an ass kicking. It's a rare occasion when I am at home at the weekends, never mind three weekends in a row. However, in February, I am. It's a sign, I tell you!

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I need to make it through tomorrow - alive.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! I've signed up for the Fundamentals course, will be starting two weeks: scared!

    ReplyDelete

Go on then, spill.